I am so excited to tell you that I used my slow-cooker for the VERY FIRST TIME yesterday! Well- that is… the very first time to make something other than Chili.
All my favorite bloggers and friends are all wintered-up, talking about their slow cooked meals that are easy as pie and ready when they come home for work. I was starting to get jealous. I was determined to find an awesome recipe for a hunk’o’meat and try this whole thing out myself.
Dave and I stopped by the Italian Market over the weekend and picked up a 3lb Boneless Top Round Roast from the butcher. I made the marinade Monday night and put it in the refrigerator in a container so it would be all ready for me on Tuesday.
Tuesday afternoon, I stopped home to let the dog out and put the meat & marinade into the slow cooker. Pressed “Low”… and waited. And waited. Okay, so I “waited” while I drove back to work, finished my work day, worked out for 2.5 hours, and THEN came home for it to be ALL DONE and waiting for me to devour it!
There are some other steps in between, but you can read about that down here…
Slow-Cooker Asian Beef
Recipe adapted from: Foodie w/ Family
- 1 3-4 pound Boneless Top Round Roast (or you can use bottom)
- 1 cup Beef Broth
- ½ cup Balsamic Vinegar
- 1/4 cup Honey plus 2 Tablespoons for later
- 1 Tablespoon Low Sodium Soy Sauce
- 1 Tablespoon Fish Sauce
- 2-3 Tablespoons Sriracha Sauce (depending on how hot you like things)
- 4 cloves Garlic, peeled and lightly smashed with the side of a knife.
- 1 (2-inch) piece of Ginger, lightly smashed with the side of a knife or sliced.
1. Place the beef in the slow cooker. Drop in the garlic and ginger around the beef. Mix the broth, vinegar, 1/4 cup of honey, soy sauce, fish sauce, and sriracha sauce and pour the entire thing over the roast. Cover and cook on LOW for 6-8 hours or on HIGH for 4 (I did low and slow!). The beef is done when it is fork tender. … go ahead and just stab it to see!
2. Remove the beef from the crock and place on a cutting board. Carefully take the juices from the slow cooker and place into a saucepan (I used a ladel- the crock was VERY hot). Add the remaining 2 Tablespoons of Honey to the sauce and boil over medium-high heat. Reduce as much as you’d like for a thicker sauce. *I was starving when I got home so I only reduced it for about 10 minutes, probably by about 1/4. It was still VERY thin… next time I’ll try to be more patient for a thicker sauce!*
3. Meanwhile, shred the beef using two forks. You can mix the sauce directly in or pour over each individual serving.
The beef turned out soooooooo yummy! It just melted in your mouth and had such good flavor from the marinade. It wasn’t too spicy but it also wasn’t too sweet, it was sorta just perfect. Dave and I went low-carb cooked up some Quinoa and a Veggie Stir Fry on the side (Onion, Carrots, Celery, Jalapeno, Cauliflower, Broccoli, Green Beans, and Tomatoes). We decided to sauce our plates ourselves so we were able to pour it all over the entire plate… mmm! Our roommate Adam even dug in and ate the beef as a sandwich on soft potato rolls… they looked amazing!
The Slow-Cooker verdict is: Thumbs Up! Both of the boys asked for me to make this beef again, and to use the slow cooker more often. Considering how easy this was… I absolutely will!
You should really check out these other fab recipes: