We’re a little spicy food obsessed over here in the It’s Good to be the Cook family… if you couldn’t tell.
The latest and greatest creation, also which has now been named one of Dave’s “Top 5” favorite dinners (whoa!) is this Buffalo Chicken Soup recipe. It’s got all of the good stuff you’d normally find in and around and dipped with wings put together in a warm, hearty soup.
What could be bad?? (Not rhetorical… the answer is NOTHING! 🙂 )
Buffalo Chicken Soup
Recipe based on: Bake Your Day
- ½ cup uncooked Orzo Pasta
- 2 teaspoons EVOO
- 1/2 Sweet Onion, chopped
- 2 cloves Garlic, minced
- 2 Carrots, peeled, and cut into half moons
- 2 stalks Celery, chopped
- 2 teaspoons Ranch Dressing Seasoning Mix (you can get in the salad dressing aisle in little $1 packets)
- 1 teaspoon Freeze-Dried Chives (my new fav thing ever)
- 3 tablespoons fresh Cilantro, divided
- 32 ounces Low-Sodium, FF, Chicken Stock
- 1 cup Frank’s Buffalo Wing Sauce*
- 1/2 cup Sharp Cheddar Cheese, shredded (red. fat)
- 3/4 cup Parmesan Cheese, grated
- 2 cups Cooked Chicken Breast, shredded/”pulled” **
- ¼ cup blue cheese crumbles
- Cook orzo according to package directions until about half way done. Drain and set aside.
- Heat olive oil in a large Dutch oven (yay I got to use mine!!). Sauté yellow onion, garlic, freeze-dried chives in the olive oil for 5 minutes until the onions soften up a bit. Stir so the garlic does not burn.
- Add carrots, celery, ranch mix and 2 tablespoons of chopped cilantro. Stir and saute until the carrots are starting to soften. **Meanwhile, this is a good time that you can cook your chicken if you haven’t yet! I just cooked it in a sprayed pan with some salt and pepper sprinkled on.**
- Once the veggies are nice and soft, add chicken broth, buffalo sauce, cheddar, parmesan and shredded chicken (i shredded with two forks). Stir to combine and bring to a simmer.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes, until the carrots are fully tender. Bring to a boil, add the orzo, and stir until the orzo is cooked through.
- Serve in a big bowl with a sprinkle of blue cheese crumbles and cilantro.
I decided to plug this recipe into my nutrition calculator that I just LOVE… just to see how “bad” this was. You’ll be happy to hear this soup clocks in at UNDER 400 CALORIES!! 3-4 Buffalo wings generally bring in about 500 calories and (my favorite) Buffalo Chicken Dip can bring in almost 300 calories in 5 Tablespoons without including chips! This soup is a great alternative without losing any flavor! YUM!
…I may have to replace my famous Buff Chick Dip with this soup for the Superbowl this year!
You may also like…