And just like that, we’re back to another Meatless Monday.
I feel like the cloudy skies of Philadelphia just opened up and delivered this pizza to me directly from heaven. I’m telling you… this is so good you’ll not only feel the same way but you’ll be SO impressed with yourself when you make it too.
Because that’s exactly what you’re going to do. Go home and try it yourself. TRUST ME.
I had seen this Cauliflower Pizza business around the blog world and on Pinterest before, but let’s be honest… how many hundreds of recipes have I saved from blogs vs how many I’ve made?! (The Pinterest ratio is significantly worse I have to add)
When Dave’s sister Rachel texted me last week that she actually made something she found on Pinterest… I knew I had to do the same.
Cauliflower Pizza Crust
Makes 1 Crust
1 Head Cauliflower, raw*
1 Cup Shredded Part-Skim Mozzarella Cheese (I used 3/4 cup Mozz, 1/4 cup Shredded Parmesan)
1 teaspoon Garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon Sea Salt
1/2 teaspoon Dried Oregano
1/4 teaspoon Red Pepper Flakes (optional)
1. Preheat the oven to 450. Prepare a baking sheet with aluminum foil coated with cooking spray. *See note below*
2. Chop Cauliflower into florets and chunks. Place in a food processor RAW and let it go until the cauliflower becomes mealy or grainy. Don’t let it go too long or it will puree, which you don’t want. Remove 1 cup’s worth of grainy cauliflower and heat it in the microwave (in a micro-safe bowl) for 8 minutes. Don’t add water.
3. Beat the egg in a small bowl. Mix the cooked cauliflower with the cheese, garlic, seasonings, and pre-beaten egg in a medium-sized bowl.
4. Place the “dough” mixture in the middle of the foil covered baking sheet and press into a flat circle or whatever shape you’d like. Bake in the preheated oven for about 15 minutes. Remove and let cool for at least 10-15 minutes.
*Note* SO, I was all excited because I was going to make this TWICE this week (yes that’s how good it is). I could not wait to show you two different pizzas with this crust and especially could not wait to let Mer try it out. The first crust I baked on a silpat-covered baking sheet which came off the tray in one clean swoop but did not get crispy. When I made the crust for Mer, I wanted to try aluminum foil but FORGOT to spray it. The pizza crust cooked up perfectly but was stuck to the foil. Fail!!! Learn from my mistakes and spray your foil. If you need to make it crispier, carefully remove the crust from the baking sheet and slide onto the oven rack with nothing under it for 2-3 minutes.
*A whole head of cauliflower makes 2-3 cups of the grainy cauliflower. You can use it in something else, freeze it, or make more than one dough 🙂 *
At first I was totally wow-ed at the way this crust turned out. I thought I messed something up since the dough was so loose before I baked it. But it really DOES work. It’s crazy!!
Then I realized that I had to make pizza with it… what to do, what to do, with this beautiful crust?!
I decided to try out a recipe from one of my very new cookbooks, from a blogger! You may know her, she’s… ya know… sorta really famous now. I’m talking about the Smitten Kitchen Cookbook, from Deb (my copy is signed and addressed to ME! Thanks to my friend Lisa who got to meet her… how cool?!).
Deb’s recipe for Shaved Asparagus Pizza was intended to be baked on her basic pizza crust… but I figured, why not try it on a fancy schmancy Cauliflower Crust?!
Shaved Asparagus Pizza (on Cauliflower Pizza Crust)
1 pre-baked Cauliflower Pizza Crust
1/2 bundle of Fresh Asparagus
1/2 – 3/4 cup shredded Mozzarella Cheese
1/4 cup grated or shredded Parmesan, 1 Tablespoon Grated Parm for later
1 teaspoon Olive Oil
1/2 teaspoon Sea Salt
Fresh Ground Black Pepper
2 Green Onions, sliced
1. Preheat the oven to the highest setting (mine was 500). Prepare a pizza stone, pan, or cookie sheet (use sprayed foil w/ the cookie sheet, remember!) and place the crust on top.
2. Shave the asparagus by taking a spear, one at a time, and hold it by the thickest end (the bottom). Hold the asparagus against a cutting board and shave from bottom to top using a vegegable peeler. Don’t worry if it’s not even, it doesn’t matter. Place shavings in a bowl. Once you have about a cup, cup and a half’s worth… drizzle with Olive Oil, sprinkle w/ Sea Salt & Black Pepper. Toss to combine.
3. Top pizza crust with cheeses (you don’t need that much cheese!) and then the asparagus mixture. Bake in the oven for about 10-15 minutes (mine was closer to 10) until the asparagus is just starting to get a little bit brown in spots… you don’t want to burn it so keep an eye. Remove pizza from the oven and top with the tablespoon of Parmesan, the Green Onions, and a shake or two of crushed red pepper for good measure.
Both of these recipes are really very easy. I want you to try them both. Dave and I were both going crazy over this pizza… we could not believe how good it tasted. The asparagus was all toasty and tasted amazing with the mozzarella cheese without any sauce.
Although my second attempt at the crust was a fail, I’ll absolutely be making this again very soon for my friends, and well… maybe a crust just to eat on it’s own! YUM!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Here are some other awesome Meatless Monday Recipes for you…