I did it. I made my first homemade pizza. And let me tell you, it’s life changing.
In order to avoid missing out any longer, I’ve done what I do best (made a list) of why homemade pizza will be my new “thing”:
1. First and foremost- it tastes AMAZING
2. It’s so EASY!
3. It takes LESS TIME to cook than most other dinners I’ve ever made.
4. DAVE loved it.
5. You can make it with whatever you want! CREATIVITY strongly encouraged.
So I have been reading so many of my favorite bloggers raving about their pizza recipes for a while now. What finally pushed me over the edge was this picture…
I saw this and immediately had to try it out. The original recipe called for Heirloom Tomatoes which I fully intended to use until I saw the display of bright red Organic Jersey tomatoes practically calling out my name. I couldn’t resist.
Fresh Mozzarella, Organic Jersey Tomato, & Basil Pizza
1 Pre-Made Pizza Crust**
1 cup fresh Basil leaves + 2 Tbsp for garnish
6 cloves of Garlic
3 Tablespoons Extra-Virgin Olive Oil (divided!)
4oz Fresh Mozzarella Cheese- thinly sliced
2 Organic Jersey Tomatoes, sliced into 1/4 inch thick slices
1/4 teaspoon Black Pepper
1/2 teaspoon Sea Salt
1. Let dough stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.
2. Place a pizza stone or heavy baking sheet in the oven. Preheat to 500, keeping the stone or baking sheet in the oven.
3. Place basil, garlic, and 2 Tablespoons olive oil in a mini food processor (I used our Magic Bullet for the first time in 3 years). Pulse a few times to form a paste. Add remaining 1 Tablespoon of oil and pulse until smooth.
4. Roll dough as large as possible (14 inches or so), on a floured surface. Piece entire surface with a fork. Carefully remove the stone or baking sheet from the oven and arrange the dough on the surface. Spread the basil mixture over the dough. Top evenly with cheese, tomatoes, and black pepper.
5. Bake at 500 for 10-12 minutes or until the crust is browned and crisp. Top with the remaining 2 Tablespoons of sliced fresh basil and sea salt. (Crushed red pepper an an extra little drizzle of EVOO optional!)
Recipe adapted from: Cooking Light
**So I don’t feel like I’m cheating because the original recipe says you should use refrigerated dough. Maybe one day I’ll make my own, but for now, I’ll recommend using Trader Joe’s dough. I also have to admit that for this pizza I used dough from Lazaro’s- a famous pizza place in Philly down the street from us. I just had to. YUM**
I could sit here and rave about the pizza, but it might be more fun to just shut up and let you look at some really naughty pizza porn. I think that’s what we’ll do. ENJOY!
And hey… look… it’s Meatless MONDAY!