Hi friends! On Fridays around here… I always like to say “Happy Friday” to everyone at work, the blog, and well… anyone I talk to! What am I supposed to say on Mondays… “sorry it’s Monday” or “I know how much today sucks for you too”? UGH! Mondays are the WORST around here!
Just about the only thing I’ve been liking Mondays for lately has been sharing fun & new meatless recipes with all of you! I have been enjoying jumping on this blogging bandwagon of Meatless Mondays… it typically saves me some moolah & lightens up my meal for that day. Are you in on Meatless Mondays yet?
Today’s meatless recipe was so much fun to make. I felt really fancy making HOMEMADE ranch dipping sauce. The best part of it all is that this meal was so simple to make, that I only needed to buy an avocado for it. I had everything else already at home. Love it! I barely adapted this recipe from one of my favorite bloggers, Jessica from How Sweet It Is. She not only makes some delicious food, but she takes gorgeous photos too! This recipe was a great find from her blog.
Black & White Bean Quesadillas w/ Avocado Ranch Dip
Serves: 2 for dinner, 4 for lunch or snack
(for the Quesadillas)
1 cup Black Beans, drained and rinsed
1 cup Cannellini Beans, drained and rinsed
1/4 cup Sharp Cheddar Cheese, shredded
2 Slices Pepper Jack Cheese (or you can use shredded)
8 small Corn Tortillas
Olive Oil for the pan
Hot Sauce Optional for topping
(for the Avocado Ranch Dip)
1 ripe Avocado
1/3 cup Sour Cream
1/4 cup Olive Oil (reduced fat) Mayo
2 Tablespoons Parsley (I use freeze dried, you can use fresh or 1T dried)
1 Tablespoon Dried Dill (or 2T if you have fresh)
1 Tablespoon Minced Garlic
1 teaspoon Worcestershire Sauce
1/2 teaspoon Apple Cider Vinegar (orig. calls for white but I was all out!)
1/2 teaspoon Hot Hungarian Paprika (use Smoked if you don’t have this)
1/4 teaspoon Onion Powder
1/4 teaspoon Sea Salt
1/4 teaspoon Ground Black Pepper
1. In a bowl, mash together Black Beans & Cannellini beans with a fork.
2. Heat a large pan, skillet, or flat griddle over medium heat. Add a Tablespoon or so of Olive Oil (just to coat). Once the oil is hot (a minute or so), depending on the size of your pan, place 2 or 4 corn tortillas down on the oil. Cover each with a sprinkling of cheddar cheese. Add a heaping Tablespoon-1/4 cup full of the bean mixture and top with 1/2 slice of Pepperjack Cheese. Take another corn tortilla and place ontop, gently pressing down to smush the bean mixture evenly. (Repeat with other tortillas) Cook until the bottom tortilla is golden brown, then gently flip and cook the other side for 2-4 more minutes until that side is also browning.
3. For the Avocado Ranch Dipping Sauce: Combine all ingredients in a food processor or blender until creamy, scraping down the sides several times as needed. Taste and season more if needed. You can store this dipping sauce in a sealed container for an extra day or two for other recipes if you’d like!
Recipe adapted from Jessica @ How Sweet It Is
So, while the ingredient list here is a little on the long side- don’t get intimidated. Like, seriously. It’s mostly stuff you have in your pantry or spice cabinet. You could also of course, just skip the sauce all together and just use store bought ranch… but that wouldn’t be as rewarding and impressive as making your own. Try it!
I have a few comments about this one- besides telling you how fabulously amazing these were. (THESE WERE FABULOUSLY AMAZING!!)
1. Keep in mind that I have been trying to be healthy and lose weight. While this recipe isn’t the top of any dieting how-to, you should remember this when looking at my recipes. I cut down on cheese. I use whole wheat, whole grain, low fat, etc. versions of everything. I’m sure this recipe would be seriously more fabulously amazing with some extra cheese. Try it if you’d like!
2. I typically try to modify recipes not only to make them healthier when possible, but to try to use ingredients I already have in my house. For this recipe, the small corn tortillas were fine… but if you have large wraps or burrito wraps in your house- go ahead, use them!
3. I remember from school that you should always have at least three points when you are making lists or numbering… so it only felt right to do that here. I really only have those two things to say. 🙂
4. Okay, maybe I should also tell you that you have to try this for your own Meatless Monday and ENJOY!
B&W… not to be confused with the milkshake!
This is all I needed for the dip… I had it all at home already. (Don’t you LOVE my moo-cow salt and pepper shakers?? My Mommom bought them for me 🙂 )
Everything into the food processor to be whipped up into your homemade dip
Nom nom nom! Delicious quesadillas.
Dave bought me these gorgeous purple flowers from TJ’s this week 🙂
They make my kitchen look so pretty!!
Or…. try one of these other Meatless Monday Recipes!
Butternut Squash Tacos
Portobello Mushroom Burgers w/ Balsamic Glaze
Chickpea & Vegetable Curry (Crockpot!)