TGIF Friends!! It’s been a crazy week. It started off with Breaking Bad ending. Then we had the beginning of Healthcare Reform. And ended with the government shutdown. No big deal.
Sounds like the perfect time for some delicious fall comfort food!
These burgers have been on my list for a few years now… I was pretty psyched to try them out! The original recipe is for Chicken Burgers, but I had a ton of ground turkey from the market this week so I decided to use that instead. I am just loving the fall flavors in this recipe and the creativity too! Yum!
Maple-Apple Turkey Burgers
Makes 4 Burgers
1/4 cup Olive Oil Mayo
2 Tablespoons Real Maple Syrup (I like grade B from Trader Joe’s)
1 Tablespoon Dijon Mustard
1/2 Sweet Onion, diced
1 Granny Smith Apple- peeled, cored, and chopped
1lb Ground Turkey (I used 94% lean)
2 Tablespoons Real Maple Syrup
1 teaspoon Italian Seasoning
1/2 teaspoon Salt
1/2 teaspoon Black Pepper
4 Hamburger Buns
1. Mix the secret sauce: Whisk the mayo, 2 tbsp maple syrup, and dijon mustard together in a small bowl and set aside.
2. Make the topping: Heat 2 Tablespoons of Canola Oil in a skillet over medium heat. Saute the onion and 1/2 the apple until soft- about 7-10 minutes. Set aside.
3. Make the burgers: Mix the rest of the raw apple, ground turkey, 2 Tablespoons Maple Syrup, Italian Seasoning, Egg, Salt, and Pepper in a bowl. Do not overmix. Divide the mixture into quarters and shape into balls. The mixture will be loose but don’t worry!
4. Cook burgers: Heat 1 Tablespoon of Canola Oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Place the turkey burgers in the hot oil and flatten with the back of a spatula to create a patty. Cook for about 7-8 minutes and flip, cooking the other side 7-8 minutes. Don’t press down on the spatula once you have the patty shape created. Remove patties and place on a plate with paper towel.
5. Assemble Burgers: While you are cooking the burgers, toast the buns. Place the cooked turkey burgers on the buns. Top with grilled apple and onion mixture. Top with a spoonful of secret sauce. Enjoy!
Adapted from: All-Recipes
I’m pretty sure these were the juciest turkey burgers ever! They were perfect. Dave and I ate them for dinner and then again the following day for lunch. They were even good leftover! I was skeptical before the patties were cooked, thinking there was no way that they would be juicy and there was certainly no way the mixture would stick together while it cooked… but they did! I can’t wait to make these again… they were absolutely delicious.